Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Blank cards

Before I got a bit preoccupied with sewing, I started out wanting to make giclee prints of my watercolour illustrations. But there was a lot to consider. A good printer costs a bomb. Archival ink costs a bomb. 300 grams acid free paper costs a bomb. In other words, I just couldn't afford it. I also thought of getting them printed professionally but to keep costs down I'd have to print in bulk and I did not want to get stuck with too much stock. 

Now, I think it may not be such a bad idea after all. So, today I made a few mock up blank cards of my little birdies. I printed on the Toddler's art paper, then cut and pasted them onto some of my precious watercolour paper. 

These cards are W 4.5" X H 7" when closed. They are blank on the inside which makes them perfect for writing or ummm... painting whatever you want.

What do you think of this combo?

Sunday, November 16, 2014

Businesscard holder

Last night I received a lovely email from a lady who saw my bags and pouches at TriBeCa, the pretty little shop in Bangsar Village II. She wrote to say she liked my work and was wondering if I could make something out of batik to hold her businesscards. I was so happy that someone took the time to email me such encouraging words and to make a request. I set to work immediately and sewed this little businesscard holder. I've been wanting to use my small stash of snap buttons so this was a great time to use it. 

Here's my first attempt...

Closed - W 4" X H 3"

I scratched the button in the process but it's still not bad for a first try me thinks :)

Opened - W 4" X H 5.5"

Two layers to fit in the cards.

I don't know if this is what she is looking for but I had fun making it. Thank you MM for your suggestion :)

Will let you know when I have some at TriBeCa. In the meantime, you can visit the shop and check out all the beautiful bags, clothes, homeware, printed artwork and other lovely things made by talented artisans from around the world!

Saturday, November 8, 2014


I thought I should mention I also make my own labels for the bags. I had a TiMi stamp made at a nearby stationery shop and for the ink I use rubber dye to stamp onto cotton tape.

Here I am testing out my stamping skills.

Below are some of the labels stamped and cut. Unfortunately, there's a lot of wastage because I still have a hard time getting them centered, straight and clear but I so prefer making my own labels than having them professionally made. It carries through the whole handmade aesthetics that I am going for.

After stamping, I cut them up and sew the edges. I tried sewing the labels straight onto the bags and pouches but I found it really hard having to turn the edges in and keep them in place as I sewed.

So, for now I have to do the edges first and individually stitch the labels on by hand. Phew! I have to be honest, I don't know how long I can keep doing this.