Monday, February 17, 2014

Before the pillows...

At The Bearded Lady I had four See No Evil pillows for sale. I wanted to make bags first but I only got as far as the prototype made from this sketch a few months ago back when it was still 2013. 

It took us 9 times to finally get the screen burnt just right. Here is one of the first few prints we did. The top half of the banana tree bled out a fair bit. My guess is I put too much pressure when I was pulling the squeegee.


The Toddler couldn't resist touching the bag when we were printing and smudged it a bit. Here she is trying to get her hands on it again! :)

There's a red blob on the woman's sleeve because I was about to start painting when I realized I should take a before photo first.


For the other side of the bag, I printed three words from the Japanese proverb of the Three Wise Monkeys "See No Evil. Hear No Evil. Speak No Evil" and crossed them out in red.

The words are in Malay but written in Jawi which is an Arabic alphabet.. 

The top is lihat = see. The middle is dengar = hear and the bottom is kata = speak.


Here I am painting in the details on another print we did. Just to give you an idea of the process.


At last, after all the sweat and near-tears here is the final version of the bag with painted details in red. I also made a tote version. Will share a picture with you soon.

Cheers! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment